The 90s are back in a big way, and I could not be more excited. The scrunchies, teddy jackets, and tv sitcom reboots have me reminiscing about the badass ladies of the 90s that helped shape a whole generation of young girls! These women were who I looked up to as a child, and still some of my biggest role models today! The ladies I have selected are strong, independent women that blazed their own paths and evoked women empowerment.
1. Phoebe, Rachel, and Monica (Friends) There is no way that I could choose my favourite girl character from the popular Friends sitcom, so why not choose all three! Monica, Rachel, and Phoebe are the ultimate girl squad; from living in amazing apartments in New York City to kicking ass in their jobs, these ladies have it all and prove that with the help of your best girlfriends, hard work, and dedication, you can achieve all your goals!
2. Tyra Banks The 90s were a time of transition and Tyra Banks was a natural trailblazer; transforming the world of modelling before the public eye. Tyra Banks has proved that nothing should stand in your way from being proud of who you are and owning it. Tyra received many rejections from modeling agencies claiming she looked “too ethnic”. However, Tyra never gave up on her dream and went on to become one of the highest paid models in the world, and the first African American women on the cover of Sports Illustrated.
3. Rory and Lorelai Gilmore (Gilmore Girls) Okay… okay… I know Gilmore girls didn’t technically come out until the 2000s but that is close enough to the 90s and they are too good not to include, right? In my opinion, Lorelai Gilmore is the pinnacle of superwomen! She worked her way up the ranks of an amazing Inn to eventually own her own Bed and Breakfast all while raising a child starting at the young age of 16 years old. Not to mention her killer personality and sense of humour makes her one of the most charming women on television. I think every young girl goes through a period where they want to be like Rory Gilmore. I mean, she is brilliant, a fiercely loyal friend, and cultivates the best relationship with her mom. But let’s not underestimate Rory’s amazing work ethic that helps her attain all her goals and dreams!
4. Halle Berry This actress is one of the key figures of the 90s and early 2000s. Halle Berry didn’t have an easy childhood, however, throughout her life, she remained poised, classy, and determined to shape her own destiny! She took advantage of every opportunity at a young age, holding positions such as newspaper editor, class president, and head cheerleader; proving there was nothing she couldn’t do. Eventually, Halle Berry decided to pursue a career in acting. She become very successful for her brilliant performances and was awarded a well-deserved academy award for best actress.
5. Samantha Jones (Sex and the City) Samantha is an unconventional, fearless, and confident woman. She was never scared to speak her mind, drop a few cuss words, but most importantly, she never pretended to be anyone that she wasn’t! She was open with her sexuality and she had a has a rocking job to boot! She empowers women to be proud of who they are and never apologize for embracing your womanhood.
These women have captivated our attention, entertained our households, and most importantly, taught us to be strong, fearless women. These unforgettable ladies of the 90s paved the way to a generation of go-getters and unashamed personalities who aren’t afraid to have a little fun. Now, channel your favourite inner 90s chick, kick some ass, and chase your dreams.